Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rest In Peace - My dear friend

I've been away from my blog for a couple of weeks due to something very devastating happening.  Last week one of our extremely close friends lost his battle against cancer and yesterday he was cremated.  I'm still in shock and extremely upset and still can't believe its happened and that none of us will be able to speak with him ever again and it breaks my heart.

This time last year both him and his wife were looking forward to coming to Dubai to spend some time with us.  We had a great time on New Years Eve and brought in the New Year together (as we had done some many times before).  But back in March, he called to cancel our planned holiday to the Maldives and announced he had the 'Big C'.  Everyone was so shocked and for months it was hard to take in. 

But over the past few months both him and his wife were so positive and always kept smiling.  I remember him telling me I was only ever allowed to cry once when we spoke on Skype and then I had to be good and stay positive and he did not want to see any more tears (which is very hard to do).  We even discussed booking for the Maldives next year and they were hoping to come and see us again at Christmas.

Hubby and I were extremely thankful that we were able to spend time with him and his family back in August, but now 3 months later he's gone and we're still reeling from the sad news.


Friday (16th) would have been his 49th birthday, (that's no age).  Hubby and I have been friends with him and his wife for over 10 years and he was like a second father to my youngest son Chris.  Life is such a bitch.   I am not a religious person but I can't help wondering that if there is a god up there, why he feels it necessary to take the good people in this world before its their time!

Last week, hubby and I travelled back to the UK to be with my friend and her family. I've been worrying about her for a long time and in particular how she would cope, but she's been so strong and on the surface she is a fighter and she is coping and I know her family and friends are behind her and she will be strong for her two very loving boys.  But it hurts so much when I think about how many times we laughed when she'd say, I met Dave when I was 17!  (how could anyone forget lol?)  That's almost 30 years ago and her life has evolved around him and her kids all that time.

Dave was an avid reader of my blog so I thought I'd dedicate this to him and his family.  Over the past 10 years we've had our ups and downs like most friends but we were very close even when we moved to the UAE our friendship did not fade.

For a long time the 6 of us were inseparable (2 other good friends of ours).  We're all very similar ages (4 out of the 6 of us born the same year).  We've spent a number of nights hosting dinner parties and having competitions on who cooked the best meal, created the best menu or laid the best table (Dave usually won, bless him). 

We've taken short breaks to Dublin, Amsterdam (to see Robbie Williams in Concert), and to a wonderful little place in the North Yorkshire Moors called Blakey Ridge (Fraggle Rock to my friends).  This was extra special as Dave planned the whole trip from start to finish to celebrate all our 40th birthdays.  It was a great weekend which I will never forget. 

We also holidayed  in France and Italy (skiing twice), Florida, Mexico and of course they visited us numerous times in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.  So you can imagine we've had some pretty good times. 

Last week we laughed a lot when we looked at some old photographs of when we went skiing in Passo Tonale, Italy.  It had been really hot and we all got really bad sunburn.  Every photo showed the 12 of us with extremely red faces and white eyes where our goggles had been (omg what a sight lol).

Last Friday (his birthday) was very hard for us all, his wife and kids went to see him in the chapel of rest (hubby and I decided against it, we want to always remember how he was), but afterwards along with our other 2 friends, we went for meal and had a drink to celebrate his life. It was very emotional and so strange not having him there with us. 

I was not able to make the funeral due to work commitments in KSA, but I am so glad I was able to support my friend at this sad time.  The funeral was a humanist funeral (none religious) which is what Dave wanted.  A Humanist Funeral or memorial ceremony recognises no ‘after-life’, but instead uniquely and affectionately celebrates the life of the person who has died. Proper tribute is paid to them, to the life they lived, the connections they made and have left behind. 

They had no hymns but played 'Cry me a river' Micheal Buble, 'Angels' Robbie Williams and 'Mack the Knife' by Robbie (can you see the connection?), I've always loved these songs but now they will always remind me of my mate Dave.

Some of my friends contacted me and told me that the service was very nice (well as nice as any funeral can be).  There was lots of tears and laughter and it standing room only in the chapel.  That just shows what a lovely man he was.
When I meet Dave again on the other side, I'm gonna bollock him for leaving us all at such an early age! But until then, he will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Rest In Peace Dave.

David Hornby
16.11.63 - 11.11.12

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dave

    A very good freind and someone who will not be forgotten. Thanks for the memories

    Wallace

    ReplyDelete