Monday, April 22, 2013

Precious time spent with Friends

Hello, its been two weeks since my last blog and I don't know where the time has gone.  Oh yes I do, I've spent most of the time eating and drinking far too much!   The reason being, hubby and I have just had some very good friends over from the UK on holiday and needless to say we have spent the last 14 days out and about wining and dining them.  You name it, we did it (or as much as you can do in 2 weeks without bursting from the scenes).  The Links at the Montgomery Golf Club, The Terrace at Le Meridian (for a friends birthday), Dubai Marina Yacht  Club, Bateaux Dubai Dinner Cruise (where we ate Basil ice cream - I know sounds awful, but it was lovely and highly recommended), West 14th, The Terrace at Media Rotana, Brunch at Latitude in the Jumeriah Beach Hotel, and a nice little lunch at the Banyan Tree in Ras Al Khaimah.

Keeping in the flow of our recent holiday, we also had a lovely visit to Madinat theater where we watched 'Joseph and the Technicolored Dreamcoat'.  It was lovely (even though a bit weird - whenever did Elvis meet the Egyptians).  Anyway we had a great singalong and I just love seeing the kids singing on stage, everyone seemed to give 110%.  I had never seen the show before but didn't realise I knew most of the songs from it, it was great good fun!

We also visited the newly opened, "Dubai Miracle Gardens" which is a beautiful oasis in the middle of a lot of sand.  It was lovely to walk around (even though temperatures here are now in the late 30s/early 40s).  We even saw a bride and groom having their wedding photos in the gardens.  Again, nice for a visit, especially when guests are here.

This wasn't their first time our friends have to visit us here in the UAE, it was actually their 4th visit, but unfortunately, due to a number of reasons (mainly illness), they haven't been here since 2010.  They've had a great time and were  hoping that they would get an extra week here like they did during their last visit.  But unfortunately, there was no ash cloud to be seen lol.  We did experience an earthquake though last week (that's near enough).  

OMG that was a scary experience.  At the time I wasn't working in my regular office, but in another office on the 23rd floor of a tower block.  Within a few minutes of feeling the tremor (which came from the boarder of Iran and Pakistan and was 7.8 on the Richter scale), we had to evacuate the building.

My dog Charlie has not been very well this week and had to have a trip to the vet. However, after a couple of injections and a dose of antibiotics, he seems to be recovering nicely.

On another note, last Thursday, I lost another longtime friend.  We have actually been friends for 20 years and worked as barmaids together along with my BFF.  I have kept in touch with her all the time I have been out here and visited her on our trips home.  However, when we were on holiday, I had a number of messages from her family telling me she was seriously ill in hospital. Over the past few weeks the messages kept going but last Thursday she died (she was 44).  Once again this makes me really live my philosophy to the full, 'Live life today, as you never know what tomorrow will bring'.  Sending all my love and condolences to my friends family.

So, with that in mind, and going back to the fact that I have ate and drunk enough food over the past 6 weeks to sink a battle ship, I have decided that enough is enough and I am not officially on the Dukan Diet.  I am actually the heaviest I have ever been in my life and I know it can't go on (drastic action has to be taken).  I'm on day 3 of the Attack Phase and doing great (even back on the treadmill lol).  However, as always when I diet, I get to about 2 weeks down the line and I give in, but this time I know I need to keep motivated, therefore I have decided to do a sponsored diet and raise money for Cancer Research UK.  

I've set up my webpage and anyone can donate and help me raise money for this worthy cause.  Please check it out!.  I'll keep you updated with my progress.  Thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment