Friday, March 13, 2015

Midlife in Full Swing!

OMG, I can't believe that it's almost 2 years since I wrote my last blog (where has the time gone? I ask myself). Sooooooo many things have happened that it's hard to remember everything (especially at my age).  

3 days ago I turned 49 and a very close friend of mine (who is also 49), kindly reminded me that I'm now on the download spiral to being 50 and that I needed to enjoy my last year in my 40s!


All I can do is think about how fast my life is going and wonder where all the years have gone!   Like most people my age, I still feel like I'm in my early twenties and it still shocks me when I think about certain events that have happened in my life and realise how many years ago they were.  I'm afraid of growing old(er), but then again, I count my blessings everyday that I continue to live my live to the fullest.


Mandy's Midlife Mayhem is a great title for my blog, over the past few years a number of major things have happened which have made me realise that, such as:
  1. Completing my Master's Degree in Education
  2. Becoming grandparents to 2 gorgeous grandchildren (1 girl, 1 boy)
  3. Re-introduction of my old hobby 'knitting' brought on from point 2
  4. The Menopause (or Perimenopause to be precise)
  5. Finally losing some weight! (hooray!)
  6. My youngest child moving out 
I finally finished my MA which Middlesex University in Dubai, in May last year with a Merit (2:1), which I was very pleased about.  Unfortunately I missed my graduation (which I was not pleased about), however, I had good reason to miss it, I was on holiday with my family in Thailand (which is a good enough excuse, but still disappointing).  Anyway, the holiday was fab and its always great to have a big family holiday, especially when we live so far away from them, its great to meet up and spend some quality time with them.

Hubby and I became grandparents for the first time late last year with the birth of 2 grandchildren (from 2 of our children).  Although 1 was planned, 1 wasn't, (long story), both of them are here now and both are absolutely adorable and we are 100% fully fledged grandparents (Grandma and Pops) and we're loving this new era in our lives.

The knitting was reintroduced very unexpectedly during a seminar at work (another long story). I used to knit huge amounts of things when I was in my late teens/early twenties (god what a geek I was).  It seems more appropriate knitting now that I have 'Grandma' status and almost 50! (still a bit geeky, but definitely more appropriate).  So far, I've knitted 2 baby blankets, 1 cardigan (which ended up in the bin) and cardigan number 2 which hasn't been worked on for a while and my grand-daughter has probably outgrown it already (Oh well its the thought that counts).

The Menopause


Well where do  I start?  Actually, I believe the phase I'm in is called Perimenopause.  Some of the symptoms us poor women have to go through (lovely, not!).



Wonderful is it?  Anyway, I've been really proactive, changed my eating/drinking habits and finally found exercise that I'm enjoying (swimming and walking), which is helping with a lot of the symptoms.  Since mid January, I've been swimming 4 times a week (50-60 lengths) and walking on average 7-8,000 steps a day.  I've finally lost some weight (just over a stone so far) and I'm finally have a positive mindset regarding my diet which is keeping me really motivated.  

After being with my husband for almost 14 years, we are now enjoying living on our own with no kids in the house.  My youngest son, has now moved out and is living with his girlfriend, which means we have the house to ourselves (Hooray!!!).  I love my kids dearly, but eventually there comes a time when they need to spread their wings and LEAVE!    Some people told me that hubby and I would be bored of each other after a few weeks, but it is great and we're loving having the place to ourselves, and my son is just up the road so I know he's ok.

Finally, as a birthday celebration tonight Hubby and I are going to see Michael Buble playing live at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium (can't wait).  Will check in next week with feedback!




  


No comments:

Post a Comment